I think many of us have a mental picture of what we’d be like at thirty. Now that I’ve hit thirty, it has been fruitful to stop and reflect on life. Sure, it’s just a number and in reality it doesn’t feel any different! But it’s a good opportunity to stop and think back at the last 5-10 years. Some of my thoughts were:
- I wish I’d have finished my second degree by now
- I hoped to have children by now (at least, its on the way!)
- (Watching the Aus Open) Man, look at what these girls have achieved by their mid 20’s
- Maybe I’m too old for K-POP
I’m actually amazed I’ve made it this far. When I was young, I didn’t really have any mental picture of what being in my 30’s would look like. Life just seemed to end. I had no goals past 30, as I hoped to reach all of them before I hit it. Still not much idea on what to expect! I guess just take it as it comes now!
I guess really there’s nothing to complain about. Overall, I’m so thankful for where God has led me till now. Many things to be thankful for:
- Married to a godly and wonderful man!
- Gained maturity and experience in my prior career which has developed me as a person
- It’s nice to be Asian and 30 cause people think you’re still in your 20’s…though I might not get away with that with a child in arm in a few months
- We never thought we’d be able to purchase a home but God has graciously allowed us to do so
- God has allowed me to work alongside my husband for a couple of years both doing something we’re passionate about
- We feel very settled in Brisbane and well supported at this stage of pastordom, despite the challenges now and ahead
Looking back in the last 5 years I can see God’s grace in stretching and growing me through various trials and exposing of sin:
- I still have a very Asian ideal of success and security which has to stop transferring on how I view God and ministry
- I have a fear of failing that often drives me to be a people-pleaser
- Physical health is more important than I thought!
- I’m still really sinful but God is ever so gracious
Painful but worth it! Looking forward to the years ahead!
I was recently able to celebrate this milestone along with a baby shower with a small group of friends. Probably last time in a long while I’ll be able to have a party like this! Initially I was pretty sad to think that many of my friends couldn’t be around to share this with me (esp. my twin sister). I thought of a way to involve those who couldn’t come to the party by sending them some ‘party stuff’ with an option to send something back. In the end, a few of them were available and kind enough to fly up especially to celebrate (thanks SO MUCH guys!). Also, I received so much help from my new(er) friends of which I am so grateful 🙂
Thanks to Ed for (most of) these photos
On a really unrelated note, here’s one guy who’s in his thirties and not slowing down any time soon! Yay for being 30!
What’s your experience of 30? What things are you thankful for?